Thursday, September 16, 2010

Rahul declines Mehbooba's call to intervene in Kashmir

Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Thursday scotched any possibility of his intervention in trouble-torn Kashmir and said with a touch of humour that nowadays he is being asked to intervene on any issue, including the upcoming Commonwealth Games.

Responding to a query on Peoples' Democratic Party (PDP) chief Mehbooba Mufti seeking his intervention to bring peace to Kashmir, Gandhi said he was currently involved in the full-time job of rejuvenating the Youth Congress and the National Students' Union of India (NSUI).

"I am currently involved in a full-time job. But I find everybody everywhere nowadays likes to offer me new job. I have even been given an offer of intervening in the Commonwealth Games," Gandhi said in a media conference here.

"The way I see it, I have been given a responsibility. The way I have been brought up, you have to carry out a political task. I spend most of my day attending to issues that could result in bringing fresh young people to the NSUI and the Youth Congress," he said.

He said there were many people who were more capable of handling issues like Kashmir and running the Commonwealth Games.

"And Kashmir is not a part-time problem. When I am given a task, I would like to settle down and understand the problem in detail," he said.

Source http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/Rahul-declines-Mehboobas-call-to-intervene-in-Kashmir/articleshow/6565534.cms

No comments:

Post a Comment